Monday, January 6, 2014

So....it's 2014?

Well, I was looking back and my last post was November 5th....and it's now January 6th....where does time go? I know during the holidays it seems to just **poof**. We really had a wonderful time hanging out with all of our families and the boys absolutely loved getting to open presents this year. They enjoyed most of the presents too, but really liked opening them!

But, I'm ready to get back into a normal routine and I think the boys are too. I can tell my patience has been wearing thin lately and I'm pretty sure it's been all the craziness of the holidays and running around! Anyways, this week will be time to re-set. I have some goals for the new year, but mostly, just want to settle back in and enjoy time with my family, friends and myself :) I'm really going to try and enjoy each moment, even though I know I'm counting down the months, weeks, days.....seconds until the house building takes place. I'm so excited for it, but trying not to wish time to go to fast, I already can't believe how big the boys are getting and don't want all the fun times together to go by too quickly! A few of my goals for the new year are as follows:
  • reduce discretionary/personal spending
  • enjoy time with the boys just playing and learning (i.e. put down the phone!)
  • get my Personal Training certification (as part of my quest to stay fit and healthy!)
I have included a really yummy Mexican 9-layer dip that I made that is pretty healthy and a little different than the normal recipe. I just made this for my Father-in-Law's birthday and was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. I will definitely be making it again. Also, you can cut out the cheese and use non-fat plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream to make it extra healthy, with pretty much the same flavors/taste! I will have a follow-up post with a bunch of Christmas pictures for you all!

The Freshest 9 - Layer Dip
Link to original recipe - Lauren's Latest









Ingredients:
1-15 oz. can black beans
1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt (or  light sour cream if you prefer)
1 cup  salsa
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (optional)
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 large Avocado, diced
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 scallion, chopped {green & white parts}
1/2 cup diced green and/or red bell pepper
Directions:
1. Open can of black beans, rinse and drain well. Pour beans onto serving platter and mash coarsely with fork. Spread beans evenly over entire platter.
2. Spread sour cream over top beans.
3. Spoon salsa by the tablespoon over top sour cream layer and then spread gently to coat but not mix into the sour cream.
4. Sprinkle grated cheese over top salsa layer.
5. Top with diced tomatoes.
6. Cut avocado in half, open and remove pit. Scoop out flesh with large spoon. Dice into small pieces and squeeze lime juice over avocado. Stir lightly to coat all sides with lime juice. Sprinkle pieces over top tomatoes.
7. Sprinkle green onions over top entire dish.
8. Sprinkle green peppers over top entire dish.
9. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over top entire dish.
Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.


A few fun pics of the boys for you all!



























1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the "cheese" faces on the boys :)